Virtual Wound Care Program
What is Virtual Wound Care ?
- The newly developed St. Michael’s Hospital Virtual Wound Care is an integrated and interdisciplinary wound care system.
- We provide remote monitoring by an expert team.
- We consult and track the healing progress from afar, whether the patient is at home, in a primary care clinic, a specialty clinic, or an inpatient ward.
- This allows for greater access to care and reduces in-person clinic visits at a time where many face restrictions.
Who are we?
Our team of wound care specialists at St. Michael’s Hospital routinely provides consultations on complex wounds and our virtual footprint has increased to leverage tools such as Zoom and the Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN). The Virtual Wound Care Program at St. Michael’s Hospital includes:
- A Home and Community Liaison to ensure continuity of care for patients.
- A Nurse Practitioner to provide ongoing virtual wound consults, monitoring, and education in home, hospital, and community settings.
- A Plastic Surgeon with expert knowledge in complex wounds
- An Interdisciplinary Team including a nurse specialized in wound, ostomy and continence care, chiropodist, occupational therapist and other surgical teams across multiple disciplines to support the holistic approach for patient with complex wounds.
How do I request a Virtual Wound Care consult?
For remote wound care management, a doctor’s referral is required. Please complete our referral form and fax to 416-864-5432.
Once accepted to St. Michael's Hospital Virtual Wound Care program, you will be assessed and treated by our wound care team. As part of your wound management, the specialists will assess, monitor, and may suggest in-person treatment for your wounds. They may also suggest further diagnostic examinations and/or local wound dressings.
Please note that due to privacy protection laws we require an informed consent to be completed by the patient on the initial virtual care visit.
Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions regarding this program
Phone: 416-864-6060 ext. 77438