Clinics & Inpatient Care Units
Learn more about specific urology conditions, tests, and surgeries.
The Division of Urology provides general urological care to the St. Michael's community, but also provides subspecialized care in the following areas:
1. Robotic-assisted surgery. St. Michael's was the first site to introduce robotic-assisted surgery to Toronto in March 2008. Since then we have performed hundreds of robotic-assisted procedures, including robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy (for prostate cancer), partial nephrectomy (for kidney cancer), pyeloplasty (for kidney blockage) and for other advanced procedures such as ureteric reimplantation.
2. Laparoscopic surgery. St. Michael's Hospital is a leader in minimally invasive surgery. This includes laparoscopic (or keyhole) surgery for nephrectomy (kidney removal), adrenalectomy, and virtually any urologic procedure. St. Michael's was the first to embark on laparoscopic donor nephrectomy (minimally-invasive removal of a kidney for the purposes of kidney transplantation) in 2000.
3. Kidney transplantation. We have one of the largest kidney transplantation programs in Canada.
4. Shock wave lithotripsy (SWL). St. Michael's Hospital is one of only two full-time SWL units in Ontario, and treats about 2800 patients with kidney stones from across the province.
5. Endourology. St. Michael's is a referral centre for the management of complex kidney stones disease, including minimally-invasive procedures such as ureteroscopy and percutaneous nephrolithotomy.
6. Cancer surgery. All urologic cancers, including kidney cancer, bladder cancer, and prostate cancer are treated at St. Michael's.
The Division of Urology works in a number of different sites in the hospital:
- Urology clinic: 9th floor of 61 Queen St. E
- Cystoscopy unit: 5th floor of the Cardinal Carter Wing of the hospital
- Lithotripsy unit: 5th floor of the Cardinal Carter Wing of the hospital
- Main operating rooms: 5th floor of the Cardinal Carter Wing of the hospital
- Inpatient unit: 8th floor of the Cardinal Carter Wing of the hospital
St. Michael's Health Centre
61 Queen St. East
M5C 2T2, Canada