View information on our visitor policy. >>

Information about coming with a patient for their appointment, test or surgery. >>

Text size: a a a

Department of Family and Community Medicine and St. Michael’s Academic Family Health Team

Services: Mental health care

The family health team has social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists that can provide you and your family members with the mental health support you need.

How to get help

The first step is to discuss your concerns with your doctor, nurse practitioner or clinic nurse, who all have training and experience in helping people with mental health concerns. This help might include counselling, lifestyle advice , medications or a referral to a community program or other professional.

Social workers and psychologists

Your primary care provider may make a referral to one of the family health team’s social workers or psychology interns from Ryerson University. You will have an assessment and then be matched to a treatment that is right for you. This might include individual or group counselling or a referral to a community program.


Psychiatrists are doctors who specialize in mental health care. We work closely with the psychiatry team at St. Michael’s Hospital.You may be referred to a psychiatrist at the family health team or the hospital.