Volunteering at the Patient and Family Learning Centre
Unit location: Patient and Family Learning Centre, Marketeria, 6th floor, Cardinal Carter Wing
Days: Monday to Friday
Shifts: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Placement length: Minimum of four months
Placement supervisor: Consumer health information specialist
Purpose: To provide assistance to Patient and Family Learning Centre users and to maintain the centre in good order.
The St. Michael’s new Patient and Family Learning Centre provides a range of resources and services for inpatients, outpatients, their families and friends in a warm and welcoming environment. The centre’s paper-based and online health information supports patients and families in decision making and assists in furthering understanding of patients' health to positively influence health outcomes and quality of life. Volunteers in the centre will help to provide patient and family-centred care by ensuring patients and families receive accurate and up-to-date information in the form of books, videos, pamphlets, email and/or print-outs from trusted Internet sites. Volunteers in the centre will also support the non-health related informational needs of patients and families around the hospital.
- Open/close the centre to patients and visitors at the designated time
- Respond to specific requests from patients and visitors
- Educate users on the use of the Internet and the patient education database
- Maintain the appearance of the collection
- Maintain usage statistics
- Ensure that resources are available and working (computers, printers, television)
- Restock satellite locations (as needed)
- Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with consumer health information resources preferred
- Knowledgeable with the Internet and word processing applications
- Good problem solving skills
- Passion for helping others
How to apply
Volunteers are needed on an ongoing basis. Volunteers require a half day of training.
Please send your resume/cover letter to:
St. Michael's Hospital
Phone: (416) 864-6060 Ext. 77355