Before You Apply
Volunteering at St. Michael’s is a commitment. Before you apply, we want to make sure that you understand the volunteer role and the requirements of volunteering:
- A typical volunteer assignment is for 3-4 hours per week, for a minimum starting commitment of 125 hours (approx. one year)
- The volunteer role has certain boundaries and does not include any tasks that can only legally be performed by a healthcare professional (physician, pharmacist, physiotherapist, laboratory technician, etc.) are not included in any volunteer role descriptions. Volunteering will not allow you the opportunity to practice or develop your clinical or technical skills.
- Minimum age to volunteer is 15 for the Gift Shop and 16 for most other placements (additional restrictions may be in place for certain areas for the hospital, for example, the Emergency Department)
- Applicants must have proof of health insurance
- Applicants must have been resident in Canada for at least 12 months prior to applying
Due to the customer service nature of volunteering, volunteers must have excellent communication skills, including fluency in oral and written English
Upon a successful interview and offer of placement, volunteers will complete a registration process that includes a Criminal Records Check, Health Screening and volunteer orientation. The registration process can take up to four weeks.
- There are some areas of the hospital that do not offer volunteer opportunities, i.e. pharmacy, food services, security, housekeeping, engineering, and supplies area. If you have a specific volunteer area in mind, please contact Volunteer Services before completing the application.
- If you have arranged your own volunteer placement, the Manager of the unit/area must contact Volunteer Services for approval.
- For high school students applying for the academic year, please note that our evening and weekend vacancies are currently limited to the Gift Shop.
Other Ways to Volunteer with St. Michael's
- Information for Internationally Trained Professionals
- Information for anyone wishing to volunteer in Research
- Volunteering with St. Michael's Foundation