PhD (epidemiology), Johns Hopkins; B.Sc. (conservation and resource studies, with honors), University of California, Berkeley
Director, Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St. Michael's Hospital
Scientist in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's Hospital
Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto
Adjunct Professor, Department of Population, Family and Reproductive Health, The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Hygiene and Public Health
Social epidemiology, perinatal epidemiology, mental health, violence, neighbourhoods, urban health
As a social epidemiologist, I have conducted a number of longitudinal and cross-sectional studies in the areas of the social determinants of adult mental health, intimate partner violence, children's well-being (such as youth violence or school readiness and perinatal health) as well as clinic and community based evaluations of programs concerning smoking cessation, prevention of perinatal transmission of HIV, prevention of infant mortality and homelessness. I have focused on methods development as part of my research, including application of multilevel modeling to understand residential and workplace contexts on women's and children's health, the application of concept mapping to increase understanding of how residential neighborhoods influence well-being and on the development of monitoring methods for rare health events in small geographic areas.
- President & Secretary, International Society for Urban Health
- Advisory Board Member, US National Children's Study Research Plan
- Member, Committee on Depression, Parenting Practices and the Health Development of Young Children, US National Academies
- Chair, Canadian Institutes for Health Research, Grant review for Public, Community and Population Health
- Associate Editor, Journal of Urban Health
- Editorial Board Member, Health Reports
- Editorial Board Member, Maternal and Child Health Journal
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Public Health Policy
I have a School of Graduate Studies and public health sciences appointment at the University of Toronto and am currently supervising three doctoral students and three postdoctoral fellows.