Keenan Research Centre
Officer, Order of Canada; D.Phil. (epidemiology and public health), University of Oxford; MD, University of Manitoba
Founding Director, Centre for Global Health Research, St. Michael's Hospital
Scientist in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's Hospital
Endowed Chair in Disease Control, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
Canada Research Chair, Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto
Epidemiology and Economics of Global Health
Mortality - HIV/AIDS, tobacco, alcohol, malaria, maternal and child health, infectious and non-communicable diseases.
I am the lead investigator of the Million Death Study in India which quantifies the causes of premature mortality in more than one million homes from 1997-2014 including the contribution of key risk factors such as tobacco, alcohol and diet. Also the author of several influential publications on tobacco control, including two that helped enable a global treaty on tobacco control, now signed by over 160 countries. I am also a Series Editor for Disease Control Priorities 3, which examines solutions to major global health challenges and a Senior Editor of eLife. My research publishes widely on cause of death statistics, disease control, tobacco control and economics.
- Co-editor: Disease Control Priorities Project, National Institute of Health, WHO and the World Bank
- Professeur extraordinaire: Institut universitaire de medecine sociale et preventive, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
- Co-investigator: Ontario Tobacco Research Unit
- Co-director: International Tobacco Evidence Network, University of Toronto and University of Illinois, Chicago
- Member, International Advisory Committee, UK BioBank
- Advisory Board Member, Institute of Global Health, Emory University
- Advisory Board Member, Canada Gairdner Foundation Awards
- Member, National Health Insurance Advisory Committee, Government of South Africa
- Member, University of Toronto Schools Board of Directors
- Member, Advisory Committee, National AIDS Control Organization and Evaluation of National Prevention Programs, Government of India
- Member, Scientific Review Committee, American Association for Cancer Research
- Editorial Board Member, Population Health Metrics Journal, UK
- Senior Editor, Epidemiology, eLife Sciences Journal
Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto. We welcome graduate, undergraduate and postdoctoral fellows with strong quantitative skills, in the summer and throughout the year. Please contact Desirée Bernard at 416-864-6042 for further information.