Keenan Research Centre
Keenan Research Summer Student Program 2014
The Keenan Research Summer Student (KRSS) Program provides opportunities for undergraduate and medical students to conduct research in a laboratory and/or clinical setting at St. Michael's under the supervision of a principal investigator (scientist and/or MD). Students are also involved in educational programming such as seminars, networking activities and a poster competition.
Please note that the registration process will change this year. Application process remains the same.
Please do not begin contacting principal investigators until Jan. 1, 2015. The last day you can submit applications to principal investigators is March 31, 2015.
Please read the following carefully:
You must have a registration session before or on your first day. Registration sessions are by appointment only and are initiated through pre-registration; no drop-ins will be accepted. Please ensure you pre-register at least two weeks before your start date. You can pre-register through the surveymonkey link provided by your principal investigator (PI).
What the KRSS program is not:
- If you are in another summer student program, such as but not limited to; Banting & Best Diabetes Centre, CREMS/IMS, Canadian Blood Services, UofT Undergraduate Student Research Opportunity Program, Ontario Genomics Institute, etc., you are ineligible for the KRSS program. Please contact Cordelia Cooper for instructions on how to register as a T4A Summer Student.
- If you are a summer co-op student, please align yourself with a principal investigator and register with Cordelia Cooper in the Office of Research Administration as either a paid or non-paid co-op student (paid or non-paid is up to the discretion of the PI).
- If you are looking for non-paid research experience without participating in KRSS programming, please align yourself with a principal investigator and register with Cordelia Cooper in the Office of Research Administration as a research volunteer.
For inquiries not relating to the KRSS program, please contact:
Note: Please email KRSS@smh.ca for any inquiries regarding the program and not Cordelia.
Research Employee Coordinator
Phone: 416-864-6060 x3077
The KRSS program consists of:
- Students hired as employees of the hospital and paid hourly wage that falls on a pay scale starting at $11.00.
- Students registered as research volunteers who wish to gain experience in a research setting (Please note: volunteer students will not be paid stipends/honorariums at any time and will solely act as volunteers).
How do I apply to the program and when can I contact PIs?
- Students must first align themselves with a St. Michael's PI. Look at the list of PIs and select a few who conduct research relevant to your interests. Find a Principal Investigator at St. Michael’s.
- Complete one application form per PI who you will contact. Ensure that you tailor each application form to the specific PI you wish to work with. For example, if you submit an application to a PI saying you are interested in mouse models and that PI’s research does not involve mouse models, you will not be a successful candidate. Please note: It is up to the PI whether they will engage you for the summer and if you will be paid or a volunteer. Download application form (109 kb pdf file).
- 1. Email your application to the respective PI within the application period (January 1, 2015 to March 31, 2015), along with a cover letter and copy of your resume.
While most summer students are engaged for the full summer term (May to August), there is no minimum or maximum days required to be registered in the program.
When can I contact PIs?
Starting Jan. 1, 2015, you can start emailing your application(s) to your selected PI(s). The last day you may send an application is March 31, 2015.
What are the program requirements?
Who is eligible?
- Students who are in a full-time undergraduate degree program at time of application
- Students in medical school full-time
- High school graduates who are enrolled in a relevant undergraduate program for the fall (proof of enrollment is required)
Who is not eligible?
- High school students
- Graduate students enrolled in an M.Sc. or Ph.D. program (Please see Research Training Centre)
- Any student enrolled in another summer student program. This includes – but is not limited to – Banting & Best Diabetes Centre, CREMS/IMS, Canadian Blood Services, UofT Undergraduate Student Research Opportunity Program, Ontario Genomics Institute, etc. If you are a student in one of these programs at St. Michael’s; please contact Cordelia Cooper (email@example.com) for instructions to be registered as a T4A Summer Student.
Students must agree to participate in the program on a full-time basis and not terminate their engagement prior to the stipulated end date. Summer students work 37.5 hours per week (Monday to Friday 7.5/hrs per day).
The summer student’s project must take place at St. Michael's, unless the principal investigator's office/lab is located off-site.
International students are eligible for the program as long as they can legally work in Canada. St. Michael’s Hospital and the Office of Research Administration do not assist in visa applications, accommodations or travel.
Registration and payroll
Once the PI decides to engage a summer student, the next steps is for the PI inform the ORA of the student’s name and start date, complete the KRSS registration package for PIs and send their student the pre-registration link so the student can be assigned a registration session. The registration packages will be available and distributed late March/Early April 2015. In this package will be a pre-registration link for students. Students must pre-register in order to receive a registration session time and date as well as registration documents. There are different documents and registration sessions for paid (Mondays only unless holiday and then Tuesday) and volunteer students (Tuesdays only). Please be careful as to which pre-registration and documents you are completing (designations will be in the title of the document).
Registration Sessions are by appointment only; no drop-ins will be accepted. You cannot work at St. Michael’s Hospital without being registered. Please ensure you pre-register BEFORE arriving/starting at St. Michael’s.
Who needs to complete KRSS registration package?
Every summer student (paid, volunteer and returning), must be registered through the Office of Research Administration.
Still have questions?
If you have any further questions regarding our program email KRSS@smh.ca. Please note this inbox is only checked periodically and response times will not be immediate. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE CAREFULLY.