Trauma and Neurosurgery
Head Injury Clinic
Who We Are
The St. Michael’s Hospital Head Injury Clinic (SMH HIC) was established in 1987 to manage and treat patients who suffer from traumatic brain injury during the recovery after acute care. The head injury clinic is the largest of its kind in Ontario, servicing over 1300 patients per year. This clinic is an interdisciplinary team of experts including a neurorehabilitation specialist, a physiatrist, a neuropsychologist, a neuro-otolaryngologist, a psychiatrist, a clinical nurse specialist/case manager, a social worker and research coordinators.
As a team we are dedicated to uphold the mission and core values of St. Michael’s Hospital and treat each patient with respect, dignity and compassion. Our experienced professionals are committed to providing each patient with the best quality care in an objective and professional manner.
What We Do
We provide interdisciplinary and highly specialized follow-up for the comprehensive management of traumatic brain injury (TBI) patients. This includes management of physical, behavioural, cognitive, psychological and psychosocial symptoms following a TBI. Our main goal is to manage and treat TBI patients until they successfully reintegrate back into the community (e.g. school, work).
Beyond our commitment to patient care, we are dedicated to conducting extensive clinical research to treatment of TBI. Our research ranges from investigating effective and innovative interventions for common physical symptoms of TBI (headaches, dizziness, depression) and developing improved assessment tools for identification of TBI.
How We Can Help
Patients are seen at the SMH HIC on a referral basis. Referrals are received from SMH Trauma and Emergency departments as well as community and family physician through the Toronto Acquired Brain Injury Network.
We offer patients a wide range of services including:
- Early identification of patients who suffer from a traumatic brain injury
- Access to medical/diagnostic tests and other SMH physician specialists and clinics
- Coordination of specialized rehabilitation services outside the hospital (OHIP funded and third party funded services)
- Patient and family education and support
- Provision of services not readily offered by other centers in Toronto:
- Neuropsychological assessments without third party funding for work, school, driving related issues and further rehabilitation planning
- Evaluation and treatment of psychiatric symptoms post-TBI with prompt access to SMH psychiatry department if needed
- Timely access to highly specialized ENT clinic at Toronto General Hospital for testing of hearing, dizziness and balance
- Prompt reassessment of the effectiveness of pharmacological treatments recommended for post-traumatic headache, fatigue, pain, posttraumatic stress disorder and depression.
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of TBI symptoms using pharmacological and non-pharmacological approaches
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday to Friday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Telephone Number: 416-864-5520 (for queries and concerns)
Clinic Hours: Tuesday: 8:00am – 4:00pm
Clinic Location: Ambulatory Specialty Clinics, 4th floor of the Cardinal Carter Wing North.
Telephone Number: 416-864-6060 ext. 6359 (to book or cancel appointments)