Ultrasound > Exams & Procedures > Small Parts
High resolution transducers are used to evaluate for possible abnormalities: enlargement, growths, swelling, pain.
- The procedure takes about 15 to 30 minutes.
- No preparation is required.
- You will be asked to lie down on a table with the area of concern uncovered.
- An odourless and water soluble gel will be put on your skin by the ultrasound technologist. This helps to transmit the sound waves and allows easy movement of the probe or transducer over the skin.
- The technologist will move the probe along the skin, taking pictures of the area.
- The technologist will leave the room once all the pictures are taken in order to develop the images and show them to the radiologist before letting you leave.
Does this hurt?
When will I get my results?
If you are seeing your doctor immediately after your ultrasound appointment, a hand written report preliminary will be given to you. If you are not seeing your doctor following the ultrasound test, a final report will be mailed to your doctor within seven days.