Nuclear Medicine > Exams & Procedures > Meckel's Diverticulum Scan
This test detects the presence of acid secreting stomach tissue in places other than the stomach.
The test involves the injection of a radioactive tracer that will be picked up by acid secreting stomach tissue. Pictures are taken continuously from the time of the injection. After half an hour of continuous pictures, pictures from above and from the side are taken. The doctor may ask for these two pictures to be repeated later in the day - they do not require any more injections.
- You should have nothing to eat or drink eight hours prior to the test. If the patient is an infant, the fasting period is shorter, please speak with a nuclear medicine technologist to confirm the fasting time.
- Bring a list of all medications and supplements you take. This includes vitamins, herbal remedies, and holistic medications.
- Do not bring children or pregnant women with you to the department. We do not want to expose them to unnecessary radiation.
- Any of these procedures is subject to change according to the nuclear medicine physician. The duration of the tests is a rough estimate. Please be aware that the time may be lengthened if a scan has to be repeated, if emergency cases are brought to the department or due to unforeseen circumstances.
About the Procedure
- The procedure takes about one hour plus the possibility of delayed pictures.
- A technologist will briefly explain the test to you and try to answer any questions you may have about the procedure.
- A technologist will ask you a few questions about your medical history and medications.
- The technologist will ask you to lie down on the bed and the camera will be positioned above your abdomen.
- You will be given an injection of a radioactive tracer in your vein.
- Pictures will be taken continuously for half an hour. It is very important that you do not move during the pictures.
- Final pictures are taken from above and from the side. Our nuclear medicine doctor may need these two pictures to be repeated later in the day as well.