Department of Family and Community Medicine and St. Michael’s Academic Family Health Team
Services: Social work
|Service available at:|
What is a social worker?
Social workers are part of your family health team. A social worker is a counsellor that helps you with your problems, provides you with information, and connects you to other services such as healthcare or social services. Social workers help people manage life’s challenges. They can help you with a new problem or with long-standing problems that affect your overall well-being.
What can a social worker do for me?
Social Workers can provide:
- Up to 6 sessions of 1 on 1 personal counselling that focus on improving stability in your life
- More counselling sessions if things get worse or there is a new problem
- Group programs to learn skills and build supports
- Help connecting with other services
A social worker can also help you to:
- Manage the process for getting social programs such Housing, Ontario Works, or the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)
- Get information or help from other health care professionals within the family health team, hospital, or community
How can I meet a social worker at the St. Mike’s Family Health Team?
To make an appointment with a Social Worker, please speak with your doctor, nurse or nurse practitioner or call our call centre at 416-867-7426 and ask to make an appointment with one of our Social Workers.