Department of Family and Community Medicine and St. Michael’s Academic Family Health Team
Services: Reach Out and Read Program
Literacy plays an important role in health and wellness, especially for children.
The Canadian Pediatric Society recommends that health care providers discuss the importance of reading with parents and provide resources.
In January 2015, we launched a Reach Out and Read initiative, based on a successful early childhood literacy program that started in Boston and has expanded throughout the United States. As part of this program, physicians and nurses offer parents advice about childhood literacy and provide children ages 0-6 years with books and information on local resources at well child visits.
Poster: Prescribing Literacy For Preschool Children (2016)
Information for parents
Reach Out and Read
- Milestones of Early Literacy Development
- Parliament Street Library: 269 Gerrard St. E.
- Riverdale Library: 370 Broadview Ave.
- St. James Town Branch: 495 Sherbourne St.
- St. Lawrence Library: 171 Front St. E.