Pituitary Innovation and Teaching

Health care providers

What kinds of health care providers will help me manage my pituitary tumour?

More than one kind of doctors will be involved in your care since a pituitary tumour can affect your hormones, vision, and brain. These doctors include:

Neurosurgeon - Brain surgeon

Endocrinologist - Hormone specialist

Radiation oncologist - Cancer specialist (uses radiation therapy to treat tumours)

Otolaryngologist - Ear Nose & Throat (ENT) surgeon

Ophthalmologist or Optometrist or neuro-ophthalmologist- Eye specialist

Psychiatrist - Mental health specialist

Anesthetist - Doctor who gives anesthetic and pain killers for the surgery

Family doctor - Provides long-term care and general medical care to all family members

All of the doctors will ask for a history of symptoms and do a physical exam. Some of the doctors will focus more on certain areas, such as the eyes for the ophthalmologist and the nose for the ENT surgeon.

A number of other professionals, such as nurses, social workers, physiotherapists, and pharmacists may help with care as well. Several sorts of nurses are involved in care, each within a special area and a different role:  the pre-admission clinic prior to surgery; in the surgery preparation area, the operating room, the recovery room, and in the various hospital wards.


Page last updated: November 22, 2016