St. Michael’s Hospital maintains highest standing from Accreditation Canada
Toronto, June 7, 2016
St. Michael’s Hospital maintained its exemplary standing from Accreditation Canada for safe care and quality in its 2016 survey. It is the highest designation an organization can receive from Accreditation Canada, an independent, not-for-profit organization that sets standards for quality and safety in health care and accredits health organizations across Canada and around the world.
A survey team from Accreditation Canada spent a week at St. Michael’s Hospital and visited some of the Family Health Team sites. They observed patient care, spoke with patients, families and staff, and reviewed protocols to understand life at St. Michael’s.
St. Michael’s met 99 per cent of all criteria and met all required organizational practices. Some of the highlights in the report included:
- A dedicated Board of Directors who provide oversight to quality and safety requirements and ensure positive outcomes.
- St. Michael’s commitment to addressing the increased demands of care for the disadvantaged and working with the province, the Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) and the Mid-East Toronto Health Link (METHL).
- A positive work culture where many staff, physicians and volunteers want to stay.
- Successes in creating a senior-friendly hospital strategy, fostering educational opportunities and maintaining strong relationships amongst everyone at the hospital.
- Engaging with patients, families and community partners, in both old and new ways, to get fresh perspectives on ways to improve quality.
“We are incredibly proud to maintain our exemplary status,” said Anne Trafford, Vice President of Quality, Performance, Information Management and CIO.
“It speaks volumes to our ongoing commitment to quality improvement. We had an amazing team that helped prepare for our survey, and this success belongs to each and every individual at St. Michael’s who works hard to provide excellence every day.”
St. Michael’s Hospital is accredited until May 2020.
About St. Michael's Hospital
St. Michael’s Hospital provides compassionate care to all who enter its doors. The hospital also provides outstanding medical education to future health care professionals in 27 academic disciplines. Critical care and trauma, heart disease, neurosurgery, diabetes, cancer care, care of the homeless and global health are among the hospital’s recognized areas of expertise. Through the Keenan Research Centre and the Li Ka Shing International Healthcare Education Centre, which make up the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, research and education at St. Michael's Hospital are recognized and make an impact around the world. Founded in 1892, the hospital is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto.