Teaching & Learning
St. Michael's, a major teaching and research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto, offers an excellent educational environment. Annually, we are home to close to 3,000 student placements from 27 health disciplines.
"St. Michael's is committed to providing the environment and resources to support excellence in teaching and learning for our students, employees and health care providers," says Vice-President, Education, Dr. Patricia Houston.
Nothing exemplifies this commitment more than the new Li Ka Shing International Healthcare Education Centre. This centre supports the growth of our education programs through the Allan Waters Family Simulation Centre, Centre for Faculty Development, Health Sciences Library and Student Centre.
We welcome students from nursing, health disciplines, research and medicine. The student experience is part of a continuum of education to promote better patient outcomes through our culture of discovery.
Our overall education vision is "Excellent patient outcomes through leadership in health professional education". With innovation as one of our priorities, our approach focuses on three core themes:
- Interprofessional education across all of our disciplines
- Our focus on interprofessional education and collaboration promotes better patient outcomes.
- St. Michael's is a study site for mentorship in the University of Toronto's Interprofessional, Mentoring, Preceptorship, Leadership and Coaching MOHLTC Project.
- Leadership through Partnerships (with academic and health institutions locally and globally)
- Strengthening educational partnerships with academic institutions, clinical partners, community agencies and internal educational stakeholders promotes respect, enhanced communication and strengthened collaboration.
- St. Michael's is a strong presence within the Toronto Academic Health Sciences Network (TAHSN) and with many other educational partners.
- Research/Scholarship in Education (innovation)
- We embrace a culture of discovery and offer many opportunities for scholarship in education.
- Our educational programming is designed with academic research as an important outcome, enhancing health discipline student educational activities and the ability to share results and successes across the broader academic community.
- Education research through publication enhances our local and international reputation as a leader in education and also increases our attractiveness as a learning destination of choice for students and health care professionals.