Mission & Values
Our Mission & Vision
World leadership in urban health.
From Our Mission Statement
St. Michael’s Hospital is a Catholic academic health care provider, fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and committed to innovative patient care, teaching and research. Established in 1892 by the Sisters of St. Joseph to care for the sick and poor, St. Michael's Hospital remains dedicated to treating all with respect, compassion and dignity.
At St. Michael’s Hospital, we recognize the value of every person and are guided by our commitment to excellence and leadership. We demonstrate this by:
- Providing exemplary physical, emotional and spiritual care for each of our patients and their families
- Balancing the continued commitment to the care of the poor and those most in need with the provision of highly specialized services to a broader community.
- Building a work environment where each person is valued, respected and has an opportunity for personal and professional growth
- Advancing excellence in health services education
- Fostering a culture of discovery in all of our activities and supporting exemplary health sciences research
- Strengthening our relationships with universities, colleges, other hospitals, agencies and our community
- Demonstrating social responsibility through the just use of our resources
The commitment of our staff, physicians, volunteers, students, community partners and friends to our mission permits us to maintain a quality of presence and tradition of caring, the hallmarks of St. Michael's.